Thursday, September 24, 2009

Needing sleep.



I'm here again, I've had a crap few days with little to no sleep. Abbey's eczema flared again just in time for her follow-up visit at the Royal Children's Hospital. Unfortunately a flare-up also means worse sleep than usual. No 6 hour stints for me, she has been waking every 2-3 hours, sometimes even every 45 minutes. Paul's been great helping where he can but it doesn't help when he goes in and she cries out 'Mama, Mama' Mama', sad for him and less sleep for me.

We've tried sleeping in her room, that just made it worse. I refuse to co-sleep with her again as even though we both get sleep, I just need her in her cot. I need her in her cot so I don't get kicked in the head, chest, head-butted and so I can have some sleep time-out.

A friend told me to get Paul to go to her more, nice in theory but for a myriad of reasons its just not viable. The main reason is that he drives for 45 minutes to and from work and operates large machinery, and I want him home safe every day. So I bear the brunt of the sleeplessness. I don't want/need pity, I just need sleep.

I went to the pharmacy yesterday and enquired about Phernergan, unfortunately due to her eczema its not a good idea, which was backed up by the Doctor at RCH. A side effect of this drug is dermatitis, something you just don't want to occur in a toddler who is already suffering eczema. Thank god for Twitter though, one of the lovely ladies suggested I try 'Calm' a homeopathic remedy, so I shall pick some up today and give it a go.

I'm not yet at the point of so tired that I'll put us in danger, but I'm close.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

That sucks. Hope you get some respite over the weekend.

I might give Calm a go too. Sophie's been extremely sleepless as well. Sigh.

Good luck to us.xx

Veronica said...

We use Pintarsol in the bath for eczema. I also water it down and dab it on when he's particularly bad. It doesn't get rid of it, just eases the itching.

I've got steroid creams to make it clear up, but ohmygod. Eczema sucks.

I hope it clears up and you all get some sleep soon.

xx

Aussie-waffler said...

Oh poor you, lack of sleep is so horrible and exhausting. I hope you find something to help get you all through.

Ness said...

Thanks ladies, your kind comments must have helped she only woke once last night (no drugs involved!) which meant I got 6 hours uninterrupted (well apart from a toilet break) sleep! I feel human again so fingers crossed!
Veronica - we use Dermaveen as it seems to be the only thing that doesn't cause a reaction, other than that we have Elocin (sp) which we were told to 'lather it on' everytime she flares and it works!

Unknown said...

This will sound so tacky, but I have had a few kids and when sleeping problems drive you nuts this is the best advice I can give. Take the night off and get toasted. Have a few drinks so you don't hear those little cries in the night.

I am an insomniac and having kids made it worse. The only way they moved on is if I ignored them for a night.

Ness said...

Thanks Alex, I have done that! Unfortunately these days I'm a '2 pot screamer'! 2 drinks and I'm pissed and in bed by 9!!!