Friday, August 14, 2009

Empty pram

Well the gorgeous and funny Kerri Sackville had a blog post on Supermarket Etiquette and I made a comment so to elaborate on that I thought I'd post about the day I had an empty pram...

I took Abbey to occasional care so I could get groceries and clean the house. (Abbey is terrified of the vacuum cleaner, not sure why as I used to clean around her bassinet when she was asleep but there you have it, she sits in a corner and sobs or wakes up screaming). Anyway after I dropped her off I proceeded to get the groceries with an empty pram. Why? well I don't drive (shh I get enough grief from my family about being 35 without a licence - I have my learners, its a start) so I had to walk to the shops, luckily the daycare is in the same place. So with empty pram filled up with groceries I proceeded to the check-out, I'd only had one comment prior to the check-out and that was another Mum commenting on what a 'sensible idea'!

At the check-out I unloaded everything and smiled and did the usual pleasantries with the Lady behind the counter. I told her I didn't need bags and started putting everything back into the pram. It wasn't until I got to the 24 can pack of Coke and put that in that the Lady looked at me in sheer horror and asked if 'the baby had enough room'. I was so tempted to say 'it's ok she's used to it' or 'bubs is really really small' but instead I just informed her that the pram was empty, while she had a large sigh of relief it made me wonder bow many knuckleheads actually did put their groceries on top of their baby whilst they lay in a pram?

After that brief and amusing encounter I trotted off home to unpack & clean. A couple of hours later empty pram and I went back to pick up Abbey. On the way I was walking behind a group of school kids (who must of had lunch passes of course). One of the young men in the group did a double take at me and my empty pram before exclaiming loudly to his friends that I *shock,horror* was pushing an empty pram. Well who could resist that opening, so I gasped, ran to the front of the pram and exclaimed (a lot louder than him) 'oh fuck! I've done it again!' then with a nonchalant shrug of my shoulders 'Ahh well, I'm sure she'll be okay'. And with that kept walking past them with a big smirk, wondering if he'd realise that I was joking or whether he'd dob in that short lady with the really bright lime green pram to the DHS?

The pram in question (old photo) you can see that I'm not joking about the lime green...

3 comments:

Kerri Sackville said...

That's absolutely hysterical. I can just picture their faces as you check the empty pram and move on with a shrug.
And yes, that's GREEN!!!

Sparkly Tiara said...

Oh, that's too bloody funny! Love the checkout lady thinking you were plonking coke on top of baby, lol!

Ness said...

Couldn't miss it really could you Kerri! Thankfully that is also the one I had when I chose to cross on the wrong signal!
Welcome Sparkly Tiara! Thanks for reading and well not sure if they are too bright down at the local, am thinking they may just be biding their time waiting for the retirement village to open.