Thursday, March 4, 2010

When not all is as it seems

It seems as I get sleep deprived again (not sure if it ever stopped) that my mind dwells on certain instances in my life.  Things that never used to bother me now captivate my thoughts and things that used to bother me cease to exist.


Friends are a funny subject, there are friends I have had forever and friends that are new, friends I lost touch with only to be reacquainted with and wondering why we lost touch in the first place.  Then there are the friends who are lost by distance or choice.


One of the things on my mind is those friends I've lost, not by choice, sure some are on Facebook but its not the same.  


Moving countries was a huge eye-opener for me, as it really showed who my friends were, the ones who made an effort to keep in touch.  Yes it works both ways and some of those lost friends I reconnected with on my last trip to NZ.  But I do occasionally lament the end of some friendships.  


In my zombie like state I ponder the good times we had together and then with a clarity that only comes after a good sleep realise that no matter if that friendship had lasted it would had to have evolved ,  I have matured *ahem* with age (the same as a good wine) and my circumstances have definitely changed.  


So not sure I'm not sure what the point of this post is, maybe I've just realised that I am a grown up now, have different responsibilities and there are some things I can't change nor do I want to.


So a 'hurrah' to friends old, new, virtual, past and yet to be made, thanks for the impact you have made on my life, you've helped shape me to be the person I am and regardless of whether we are in contact or not, thank you.


Abbey and friend at the park

1 comment:

Brenda said...

What?! You a grown-up now?! No fair. Haha.

But I get what you're saying, Ness. People come and people go. Friends come and friends go. That's just the way it is.

I am glad though that we are friends. You were like the very first mum I've truly connected with on Twitter. Thank you for that.xoxoxo